Self care essentials for AerialistsFeb 13, 2024
Self Care Essentials for Aerialists
As an Aerialist, I can look back and see some key ways that would support aerial training and self care on the way. These are my ideas and suggestions, however, to be honest I didn't always practice all of these over the years. It's just now, looking back I can see how I could have made my path easier.
If it helps one person, it was worth writing this post!
If that's you, I'd love to hear what works well
[scroll to the bottom for PDF to download]
Self-care is essential for aerialists for us to maintain our physical and mental well-being
Here are some of my top tips for self-care for aerialists and 4 ways to implement them in daily life:
1. Rest and Recovery
- Take rest days: Schedule regular rest days to allow your body to recover from intense aerial training. This helps prevent overuse injuries and promotes muscle repair.
- Get enough sleep: Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night to support muscle recovery and overall health.
2. Stretching, Flexibility, Pilates & Release work
- Incorporate stretching into your routine: Dedicate time to stretch after aerial training sessions. This helps improve flexibility, prevent injuries, and enhance performance.
- Find release work that works for you, try 'constructive rest position' info in PDF to download at the bottom, relaxing baths, meditation, breath work, massages,
- Practice active recovery: On rest from Aerial days, try activities like Pilates to maintain movement, and to balance strength and range of motion.
3. Good Nutrition
- Eat a balanced diet: Fuel your body with nutrient-dense foods, including lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats. This provides the necessary energy and nutrients for optimal performance and recovery. Get support from a trained nutritionalist if you can.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day to maintain hydration, especially during intense aerial training sessions.
4. Mindfulness and Mental Well-being
- Practice mindfulness techniques: Incorporate mindfulness practices such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, or visualisations to enhance mental well-being.
- Take healthy breaks and prioritise your self-care: Schedule regular breaks throughout the week to recharge, and do things that bring you joy and relaxation. Non movement focused activities is a great balancer too, e.g. Cooking, arts & crafts, reading, movies, socialising & creative hobbies.
Try some of these 4 self-care tips in daily life
- Create a schedule: Plan your aerial training sessions, rest days, and self-care activities in advance. This helps ensure you allocate time for each aspect of self-care.
- Set reminders: Pop it in your diary or calendar, to remind yourself to take breaks, stretch, or schedule mindfulness practices.
- Find accountability buddies: Connect with fellow aerialists or friends who share a similar desire to have self-care goals. Hold each other accountable and support each other in implementing self-care practices.
- Make you a priority: You are important, your self-care will make a huge difference to your overall well-being and performance as an aerialist. Prioritise self-care activities and treat them as non-negotiable parts of your daily routine. Do you, in-style.
Remember, self-care is not selfish but necessary for long-term
health and success in your aerial practice
Big Love and Air Hugs
Self care for Aerialists downloadable support
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates
We only send gorgeous emails, we won't send spam. Unsubscribe at any time.